The

Temple Gallery

Established 1959

St. Maron - exhibited at the Temple Gallery, specialists in Russian icons

[ Click on the above image for a full screen view ]

C012. St. Maron. 

Russian, 19th century
Tempera, gold and gesso on wood
Panel (lime): 17.7 x 14.7 x 1.6 cm Click here to convert metric size to imperial
Provenance: German art market
Condition: Good, minor abrasions due to age. The icon has never been cleaned or restored.
£600 [Sold]Click here to convert price to USD or EUR

[ Click on any image for a larger view ]

St. Maron the Syrian Hermit, a contemporary and friend of St. John Chrysostom, was a monk in the fourth century who left Antioch for the Orontes River to lead an ascetic life, following the traditions of Anthony the Great of the Desert and Pachomius. Many of his followers also lived a monastic lifestyle. Following the death of Maron in 410 AD, his disciples built a monastery in his memory and formed the nucleus of the Maronite Church.

The Maronites held fast to the beliefs of the Council of Chalcedon in 451 AD. When 350 monks were slain by the Monophysites of Antioch, the Maronites sought refuge in the mountains of Lebanon. Correspondence concerning the event brought papal and orthodox recognition of the Maronites which was endorsed by Pope Hormisdas (514-523 AD) on February 10, 518 AD. A monastery was built around the shrine of St. Maron after the Council of Chalcedon.

Detail Images