VIRGIN OF MOZDOK (No. 188)
A variant of the Hodegetria type with silver revetment. This icon is extremely rare. Mozdok is a town in the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania in southern Russia. The name of the town literally means 'dense forest' in the Kabardian language. Mozdok was founded in 1759; the town status was granted in 1785. Mozdok is an administrative center of Mozdoksky District. It is located on the left shore of the Terek River, 92 km north of Vladikavkaz, the republic's capital.